“E-E-A-T” and “YMYL” are two concepts that are very important in the context of SEO and the quality of web content as evaluated by Google.
E-E-A-T stands for “Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness.” It is an expansion on the concept of “E-A-T,” which was heavily emphasized in Google’s Search Quality Rater Guidelines. The additional “E” for “Experience” was added to underscore the value of having first-hand experience on the topic. Here’s a breakdown of each component:
- Experience: This refers to the practical knowledge or skill gained from direct participation in events or activities. It implies that content created from personal experience may be more valuable to users than content that is researched but not experienced.
- Expertise: This is the skill or knowledge in a particular area. Google expects content to be written by people who are knowledgeable about the topics they are discussing, especially for more technical or specialized subjects.
- Authoritativeness: This is the quality of being reliable and recognized in a field or industry. It’s about the reputation of the author and the website where the content is published.
- Trustworthiness: This concerns the accuracy and legitimacy of the website and the content. Trustworthiness also refers to site security and the transparency of the website’s affiliations and advertisements.
YMYL stands for “Your Money or Your Life.” This refers to content that could potentially impact a person’s future happiness, health, financial stability, or safety. Examples include financial advice, medical information, legal issues, and news articles. Here’s why YMYL is important for SEO:
- Google Scrutiny: Google scrutinizes YMYL pages more carefully because inaccurate or misleading information in these areas can have significant impacts on people’s lives. As such, these pages require a high level of E-E-A-T.
- Quality Content: For YMYL topics, the content must be not only accurate but also comprehensive and user-friendly to rank well.
- Credibility and Trust: Sites that deal with YMYL topics need to demonstrate that they have the necessary credentials and are a trustworthy source of information.
How E-E-A-T and YMYL Affect Your Website:
- Content Quality: Websites must ensure their content is well-researched, factual, and provides a beneficial and accurate answer to the user’s query. For YMYL topics, this is especially crucial.
- Search Rankings: High E-E-A-T can lead to better visibility in search rankings as Google aims to provide users with the most reliable and trustworthy sources.
- User Trust: Demonstrating high E-E-A-T can help a website build user trust, which is critical for conversion rates, especially on YMYL websites.
- Expert Content Creation: It encourages businesses and content creators to involve experts or experienced individuals in content creation, especially for YMYL topics.
- Transparency: There is a push for websites to be more transparent about who is responsible for the content, the business’s credentials, and how they monetize their site.
In summary, both E-E-A-T and YMYL are central to creating and managing content that will perform well in Google search results. They ensure that high-quality, accurate, and trustworthy content gets the recognition and visibility it deserves, while also protecting users from potential misinformation, especially in critical areas that could affect their well-being.